Sunday 26 May 2013

Making of 'Black'



   My textiley representation of the word 'black' is based on the Chinese character for the colour black. Well as far as I know that is....the nice lady in the Chinese take-away around the corner wrote it down for me when I asked her and I believe what she said!

 






I began by making little black jersey fingers  stuffed with wadding. I folded the jersey round a sausage of wadding, pinned it in place and sewed it using ladder stitch. I used a similar method for the little jersey dots.









Once all the black jersey fingers were complete
all that remained was to construct the pieces into the shape of the symbol and to figure out a way of suspending the bottom line of dots in thin air just below the overall form.



   
I found that the perfect solution was to use a fine strip of white sheepskin as cloud type thing in which I could suspend the dots, which I affixed with the use of one or two small stitches through the dot and around a bundle if fur.

No comments:

Post a Comment